Fabric & Textile Pests
Fabric & Textile Pests are insects that damage fabric and paper products. The three main fabric pests we deal with on a daily basis include silverfish, clothes moths and carpet beetles.
Clothes Moth (Tinea Pellionella)
- Approx. 7-10 mm long.
- Forewings are silvery-buff with 3 dark spots.
- Lifecycle completion usually takes 3-8 months.
- Larva up to 10 mm long when full grown.
- Creamy white with dark head.
- Usually protected in case made of silk and fibres of feeding material.
- Can do extensive damage to woollens, felts, upholstered furniture, clothes, etc.
Webbing Cloth Moth (Tineola Bisselliella)
- Approx. 8-10 mm long.
- Golden buff in colour.
- Wings are fringed with no markings.
- Wingspan about 12 mm.
- Completes in 3- 8 months.
- Larva up to 12 mm long when full grown. Often found in a network of silken tubing.
- Can damage a variety of animal products, including wool,fur, skins, clothing, carpets, upholstered furniture, and felt.
- Larvae may be difficult to spot as they hide in a network of silken tubing.
Tapestry Moth (Trichophaga Tapetzella)
- Forewings dark at base, outer parts creamy white.
- Wingspan about 19 mm.
- Complete in approx. 3-6 months.
- Larva may grow to about 15 mm long.
- Prefers coarse materials and constructs silk-lined galleries.
- Typically attacks old carpets, feltings and the fur and feathers of stuffed animals.
- Not very common species.
Varied Carpet Beetle (Anthrenus Verbasci)
- Approx. 2-3 mm long.
- Mottled yellow, white and black.
- Oval shape similar to a ladybird.
- Complete in 9-12 months.
- Larva up to 4-5 mm long when fully fed.
- Damages carpets, underfelt, woollens, fur, feathers.
- Can attack stored items such as cereals and meat products.
Black Carpet Beetle (Attagenus Unicolor)
- Approx. 3-5 mm long.
- Shiny black to dark brown, with brownish legs.
- Completes in 6-12 months.
- Larva up to 7 mm long when fully fed.
- Reddish brown covered with stiff bristles.
- Relatively widespread and destructive.
- Often associated with bird- nesting in roof cavities.
- Amongst others, leather, silk, carpet, and felt all at risk of infestation.
Australian Carpet Beetle (Anthrenocerus Australis)
- Approx. 2-3 mm long.
- Dark body with lighter markings.
- Oval shaped.
- Lifecycle takes 9-12 months
- Larva reddish brown, covered with bristles.
- Elongate oval shaped, with some long hairs trailing from tip of abdomen.
- Attacks woollens, carpet, felt and underfelt, as well as stored food [e.g. meat products).